Thursday 16 August 2007

Ruby, Rails and Netbeans (compared to Catalyst)

In current time I am working on my bike-"startup" site, rowerem.org (in Polish: by-bike org) which promotes using bicycles in Krakow and cities at all. This is a free project, no money just fun and opportunity to learn something new.

For long time I was not sure I should do it in perl/Catalyst, some kind of python framework or Ruby/Rails. From the hosting point of view it should be php but... never mind ;) Because I like python, this simplicity, explicit constructions I was checking python frameworks. Unfortunately Django goes own way of MTV, Turbogears is not so well designed (opinions), Pylons - not so popular to have mature quality of all web-related libs. Inspired by latest billboards ads in the city I chose Rails ;)

What is good about Rails?

- Good documentation. You have few good, printed books: Rails Recipes, Rails Cookbook and of course Agile Web Development with Rails. If you have a problem with something, just google for it or check in book. Howtos on rails/doc are also helpful. The step-in cost is very small compared to eg. Perl/Catalyst even when I code in Perl for 10 years when Ruby is still fresh for me.

- not too deep directory structure. It is simpler compared to Catalyst.

- model (ActiveRecord) is really simple to use. Maybe DBIx::Class is powerful but hard to use for night development (after typical day in work). Or I am just too lazy ;)

- good IDE. Have you ever tried Netbeans 6? There are some issues like hard-to-work-without-mouse, hard to (re)define shortcuts / compared to Kdevelop / but... you have good, free IDE for Ruby and Rails projects!

Now it is very funny to extend Catalyst knowledge based on Rails usage - "there should be something like this in Catalyst", this works also in the opposite direction, because both frameworks are quite similar.

Do you use Catalayst? Or maybe you use Rails? What do you think about them?

No comments: